We may from time to time update this Policy, so we invite you to review it periodically. All changes will go into effect on the date noted below. The new Policy will apply to all current users of our Services and will replace any prior Policies. If we change the Policy in a material way, we will provide appropriate notice to you.
Quick Guide to Contents
What Information We Collect and How We Use It
Information Collection and Use
We collect information from you when you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly. You are not required to register or provide information to us, but if you choose not to, you may not be able to use some or all of our Services. Here are some of the ways we may collect information from you, and how we may use that information:
- Create an Account: If you create a Blue Bottle Coffee account, we may collect the following information from you: name, address, phone number, email address, username and password. We use this information to establish and manage your account and any orders you place through that account and to contact you via email or regular mail, unless you opt out by following the instructions in the "Opting Out" section of this Policy, below. Additionally, if you allow it, the Blue Bottle app will use your location to help you locate and order from the nearest cafe.
- Make a Purchase: If you shop with us, including by placing a mobile order, we collect some or all of the following information about you: name, address(es), phone number, email address, billing information including credit card number and expiration date, as well as the names, addresses and phone numbers of gift recipients (if any). We use your name, address, phone number and billing/credit card information to process and fulfill your order.
- Communicate with You: The email address you provide is used for internal purposes, such as confirming and tracking your orders. We may also contact you occasionally via email or regular mail to keep you up-to-date on the latest Blue Bottle Coffee news and/or to provide order status updates. If you would like to opt out of receiving marketing mailings from us, just let us know (see "Contacting Us," below). Also, gift recipients may, from time to time, receive offers from us regarding new products and services that we think may be of interest to them. We allow gift recipients the option to opt out of receiving future marketing-related communications from us.
We also may use the information we collect from you to (1) analyze the usage and operations of, and improve, our Services and business, (2) advertise to you, (3) address problems with the Services or our business, and (4) protect the security and integrity of the Services and our business, such as through fraud detection and prevention.
We may disclose your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers: We may share your information with service providers that provide business, professional or technical support functions for us (like fulfilling or shipping orders, processing transactions, detecting and preventing fraud, or administering a loyalty or rewards program). See the "Service Providers" section below for more information.
- Legal Matters; Safety: We may disclose your information when we have reason to believe that it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to you, Blue Bottle Coffee or others. We may also disclose your information when we believe the law requires or otherwise permits it (e.g., to respond to subpoenas or judicial process).
- Sale or Transfer of Business Assets: In the event of a merger, consolidation or sale or transfer of all or substantially all of our company or its assets, information collected by our Services may be transferred to the purchaser or the new company.
- Other: We also may share your information as disclosed to you at the time of collection.
- Computer or Device Information: We may automatically collect your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, other unique identifier, or information from the computer, mobile device, tablet, or other device you use to access the Services. That information may include your browser type, device type, operating system, software version, phone model, phone operating system, and the domain name from which you accessed the Services.
- Usage Information: We may collect information about your use of the Services, including the date and time you visit, the areas or pages that you visit, the amount of time you spend, the number of times you return, and other click-stream or usage data. We also may collect information about emails that you open, forward, or click-through to our Services, as well as other sites that you may visit.
Accessing, Updating, Deleting and Editing Your Information
After setting up an account with Blue Bottle Coffee, you can access, review, and/or correct the information you provided to us by logging into your account. You may also ask us to assist by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your California Privacy Rights
- Access: You or your authorized representative may request, up to two times each year, that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of personal information that we have collected from and about you, and how we used and disclosed that personal information.
- Deletion: You or your authorized representative may request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. Please note that we may not always be able to fully address your request, such as if we need the information to complete a transaction for you, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, or to comply with a legal obligation.
- Opt Out: You also may request to opt out of the sale of your personal information to third parties for their commercial use. This means that, if you opt out, going forward, we will not share your personal information with such third parties to use for their own purposes unless you later direct us to do so. To effect the opt out, please click on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link, which also is on our website footer, and select "No" for the "Marketing and Analytics" and "Advertising" categories and save your preferences.
To take advantage of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com or (510) 653-3394. We may need to request additional information from you or your authorized representative for verification purposes. We value your privacy and will not discriminate in response to your exercise of your privacy rights.
We also make the following disclosures with respect to personal information (PI):
|Categories of PI Collected||Sources of PI||Purpose of Collection|
Internet or other electronic network activity information
Visual and audio information
Inferences drawn from the above
Categories of Personal Information Sold
In the last 12 months, we have sold the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers/contact information, sold to social networks, advertising networks and providers, and data analytics providers; and
- Internet/electronic activity, sold to social networks, advertising networks and providers, and data analytics providers.
We do not knowingly sell personal information about persons under the age of 16.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed
In the last 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose (such as with our service providers who are restricted from using your personal information outside the scope of their services for us):
- Identifiers/contact information, disclosed to service providers of advertising, data analytics, email/SMS/phone calls, direct mail, cloud software and storage, fraud detection and prevention, and customer service.
- Internet/electronic activity, disclosed to service providers of advertising, data analytics, cloud software and storage, and fraud detection and prevention.
- Commercial information, disclosed to service providers of payment processing, email/SMS/phone calls, direct mail, cloud software and storage, data analytics, customer service, shipping and logistics, and fraud detection and prevention.
- Visual and audio information, disclosed to service providers of payment processing, email/SMS/phone calls, direct mail, cloud software and storage, data analytics, customer service, shipping and logistics, and fraud detection and prevention.
- Geolocation, disclosed to service providers of cloud software and storage, data analytics, and fraud detection and prevention.
- Inferences drawn from the above, disclosed to service providers of advertising, data analytics, cloud software and storage, and fraud detection and prevention.
We sometimes employ other companies and individuals to perform services for us. For example, we may hire agencies to help administer promotions or rewards programs, to advertise, to analyze data, to detect and prevent fraud, to process payments, to fulfill orders you place, and to provide customer service. We may share your information with and receive your information from these service providers.
We take your privacy and security seriously. For this reason, we maintain administrative, physical and technical safeguards that are designed to protect your personal information from accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, access, disclosure or use.
If you would rather not receive marketing emails from us, please let us know by contacting us as indicated below, or by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any marketing email.
You may ask questions, submit comments and opt out of receiving updates and other mailings from us by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at (510) 653-3394 or regular mail at Blue Bottle Coffee, Inc., 476 9th Street, Oakland, CA 94607.
Last modified: November 11, 2020